My name is Jaime Martin, and I am a neurologist with specialty training in movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease (PD). I am also the Movement Disorder Chief at Synapticure.
I didn’t just go to medical school to be a doctor — I went to be a neurologist and a researcher. I watched strokes, resultant epilepsy, and then Parkinson’s disease ravage my grandmother — taking her from a woman whose passion was knowledge and language to someone who had trouble communicating some of her most basic needs. I wanted not just to understand what happened, but to contribute to the understanding of why, and to advance care.
I used this drive to pursue a career as a physician scientist — combining clinical knowledge with research. But, I found that although I was working in an environment that had so much to offer, many patients had difficulty taking time off of work or driving many hours to see us.
This led me to start my first telemedicine clinic in rural Georgia for PD patients back in 2016 — allowing patients to be seen much closer to home, making visits more comfortable and convenient for them. The need for care has only grown since then.
The number of people with PD is expected to rise from 900,000 to 1.2 million by 2030. Unfortunately, so many of them will never will never have the opportunity to see a neurologist who has specialized training in their disease.
That’s why I am so excited to combine my passion with Synapticure’s amazing dedication to patient-centered care to now care for people with PD!!
We are a fully virtual practice who can work with your local medical care team to make your care personalized and proactive. In particular, we are able to focus on the issues that are most important to you and to help you navigate the nuances of your individual disease. Among the things we can do are:
- Perform virtual medical evaluations with one of our neurologists trained in movement disorders
- Provide you with cutting-edge testing to help you and our neurologists understand more about your own disease
- Review your medication list and discuss of the risks and benefits of the various treatments available
- Prescribe medications, therapies and equipment including working though prior authorizations and appeals
- Answer questions about nutraceuticals based on reputable science and sources
- Aid with finding and referring to clinical trials
- Offer genetic testing from home with pre- and post-test counseling by our own genetic counselorsHelp you navigate your insurance policies, explaining available SSDI, Medicare, Medicaid, Veteran’s benefits, commercial insurance plans and supplements, and long-term care policies
- Frequent touch points to make sure your needs and concerns are being addressed
We can do all of this as your primary neurologist or in combination with any other doctors on your care team. Our goal is simple: to provide you with the best care and to help you navigate every aspect of your disease and your journey. We do this by transforming the care system into a proactive and personalized one with you at the center.
Today, we are launching in Florida, Georgia, Texas, California, and Illinois. We plan to expand quickly to provide care to all states across the US. To get started, even if we’re not in your state, just click below. We look forward to serving you and to helping you fight Parkinson’s.